What’s Your Definition of Success?
What does success really mean to you? What’s your definition of success? It’s important to clarify your thoughts, goals and desires before you can achieve success! You can’t work towards something passionately when you aren’t sure what the end result will be.
Success means many different things to different people. Unfortunately, the tendency is to view monetary gain as success. However, financial wealth is only a small part of overall success.
Different Areas of Success
Because there are different areas of success, you can be successful in one area and unsuccessful in others. In order to develop a plan for your success, you need to make your own list of areas that are relevant to you.
- To achieve overall success in life, you’ll need to examine your priorities in each area.
For many of us, there are 3 main components of success. In your personal plan for success, there may be even more. Be sure to include any areas that are important to you.
Here are the 3 main areas, along with some tips and techniques to help you evaluate your priorities and formulate your success plan:
1. Career. To evaluate your career, contemplate these questions:
- Do you desire a higher status position?
- What amount of income would make you happy?
- Would you simply like to feel appreciated by your boss?
Any number of things can be used to measure your success when it comes to your career.
- In your career evaluation, be sure to determine what strengths and weaknesses you have that can help or hinder you from achieving your goal.
2. Emotional. These questions can guide you to important considerations for your emotional success:
- Are you satisfied with your relationships?
- What have you learned so far that could help you do better in the future?
- If you have children, do you feel successful in how you’re raising them?
- Is your marriage a happy one?
3. Health. Are you doing everything you can to improve your overall well-being? Maybe a change in diet and exercise is in order. Take a moment to evaluate whether you’ve achieved success in this area or if there’s room for improvement.
- If your health can use a boost, make a plan to start implementing changes in your daily routine that lead to a healthier lifestyle.
The Journey to Success
Your journey to success will have highs and lows throughout your life. There will be mistakes and disappointments. You may experience a setback at some point. The beauty is that you can get back on track and move closer to your goals at any time.
- You may achieve new levels of success at different times in your life and career. As you progress in your job, start a family, and get involved in giving back to your community, your definition of success may change, as do your priorities. Go with the flow; it’s okay for your outlook on life and your meaning of success to change over time.
- Love what you do! Life is too short to be stuck doing something you despise. To achieve success in life, work with what you’ve got. Focus on your strengths and interests and do the things that bring those to the forefront of your life.
- Challenges and obstacles are opportunities for improvement and further success. Everyone has setbacks at some point in their lives. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t be human. The successful individual has the confidence that he can and will do better!
Every so often, it’s very important to step back and re-evaluate your idea of success. There are so many changes in life and with each one you’ll find that your priorities change also. Never underestimate the power that comes from persistence and experience, just don’t forget to enjoy the journey! Share with us below your definition of success.